The Libreboot X200 is a modified ThinkPad X200, lightweight and durable, running on free software; the libreboot firmware (free BIOS/UEFI replacement) and Trisquel GNU/Linux-libre 7.0 LTS operating system are pre-installed.
Most computers today restrict your essential freedoms and invade your privacy. From firmware backdoors, to proprietary software in the kernel. Libreboot systems are an escape from the abuse that you would get with other computer products. Even the BIOS is replaced with free software, providing the utmost assurance that none of your software is spying on or harming you in any way. Such freedom is extremely rare, and cannot be found on most other computer systems. Even Richard Stallman uses libreboot!
Libreboot offers several practical advantages over proprietary BIOS/UEFI firmware; faster boot speeds, better security and customization to name a few. You can install GNU/Linux with full disk encryption (including the /boot/ directory), verify GPG signatures on your kernel at boot time, and more.
Full Libreboot and Trisquel 7.0 LTS source code is also included with each laptop, on the main storage device.
Free tech support is also provided, for all customers. If you ever have any questions about your laptop, or need help with anything, Francis Rowe (the person running Minifree) is always happy to answer them via email, IRC (francis7 on freenode) or telephone.
Francis Rowe is also the main libreboot developer (and founder of the project). Profits from Minifree sales directly fund the libreboot project.
Minifree ships worldwide. UPS is used for all shipments.
- RJ-45 ethernet cable
- 6-cell battery installed.
- AC-DC adapter (charger) included (100-240V auto-switching, works in all countries)
- UK, EU or US power cable (depending on country) included
- New thermal paste applied: fresh Arctic MX-4 thermal compound is applied underneath the heatsink, to improve cooling performance. MX-4 is high quality, and one of the best pastes available on the market (better than AS5).
- Docking station: ThinkPad X200 Ultrabase
- GNU and FSF stickers can also be included on request, at no extra cost
Docking station specifications:
- CD/DVD RW drive included
- Ports: DisplayPort, 3x USB 2.0, 1x Headphone, 1x Microphone, 1x VGA, RJ-45 (ethernet), slot for AC-DC adapter (charger)
- Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz processor or higher
- Graphics: Intel GMA 4500MHD
- Screen: 12.1″ 1280×800 TFT LCD
- Gigabit ethernet as standard
- Ports: 1x VGA, 3x USB 2.0, 5-in-1 card reader, 1x Headphone, 1x Microphone, 1x Gigabit Ethernet, 1x ExpressCard/54
- Size: 11.6 x 9.2 x 0.8 inches
- Weight: 1.7 Kg
- Upgraded with an 802.11n wireless card (Atheros AR5B95, AR9285 chipset), ensuring full compatibility with free drivers in Trisquel GNU/Linux-libre.
- Backlight (brightness) control is fully functional in libreboot on this laptop.
When new libreboot versions are released, it is possible to update to those newer versions using software (no disassembling required). Full instructions are provided.
Dvorak keyboard layout available on request at no extra cost (stickers will be applied, and Trisquel will be configured to use Dvorak by default).